Step 1: Assess Yourself
Begin your job search with some honest self reflection. Ask yourself:
- How well do I know myself?
- What are my unique strengths?
- What are my values?
- What are my hobbies and passions?
- Do I need to take a self-assessment such as Myers-Briggs?
- What do I have to offer an employer?
- What are my skills?
- What are my experiences?
- How do I want to contribute?
- What type of work do I find meaningful?
- What vision do I want to achieve?
- What missions do I want to serve?
- What is my ideal job?
- What kind of people do I want to work with and how might this influence the industry I choose to work in?
- What type of environment do I want to work in? Do I prefer to work outdoors, or do I do my best work in a cubicle?
- What is my ideal workload? How important is work-life balance important to me?
- What type of benefits do I want? How much do I want to earn, and how hard am I willing to work for that income?
- What industry do I want to be in?
- Where do I want this job to take me in the next 10-15 years?
It is easy to overlook these questions when you are stressed and in need of a job, but being confident about what type of job you seek will make you a stronger candidate because you will be better able to articulate why you are well suited for the position.