Medical School Interview Questions
If you are unsure how to answer any of these questions, check out Step 2 of our Interview Prep page for detailed tips on how to correctly answer tricky interview questions.
Questions About You
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your two best points?
- What are your two weakest points?
- What are three things you want to change about yourself?
- How do you handle conflict?
- Explain your leadership/research/volunteer experiences.
- What extracurricular activities are you engaged in?
- Which of your college courses interested you the most?
- What interests you outside of medicine and getting into medical school?
- Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Why did you choose the undergraduate school you went to, and if you could, would you do anything differently?
- What do you do to relieve stress?
- What course was most academically challenging for you?
- If you could pick any three people to have dinner with, who would they be and why did you pick them?
- Who are the three most influential people in your life?
Questions About Your Medical School Goals
- Why do you want to be a doctor?
- When did you decide medicine was a good career choice for you?
- What steps have you taken to confirm that you want to be a doctor?
- What do you think being a doctor entails, apart from treating patients?
- What do you feel are the most important qualities in being a good doctor?
- What will you be doing in medicine 10 years from now?
- What did you do to prepare for the MCAT?
- What medical procedures have you seen?
- How will you handle the stress of medical school?
- What do you think will be your greatest challenge in completing medical school?
- Why do you believe you have the ability to undertake the study and work involved in medical school?
- What branch of medicine do you think would interest you? Why?
- Does your family support your decision to become a doctor?
- What did you like/dislike about the medical offices you have observed?
- What would you like to do if you are not accepted into medical school?
- What steps have you taken to acquaint yourself with what a physician does?
- How do you think your role as a physician fits in with your role as a member of the community?
- Is medicine a rewarding experience?
- What aspects of your life experiences do you think makes you a good candidate for medical school?
- If you are accepted into two medical schools of your top choice, what would you do to make up your mind?
- Can compassion be taught and do you need it to be a successful doctor?
Questions About the Medical School
- Why do you want to attend [Medical School Name]? How are you a match for [Medical School Name]?
- Describe your method of learning. How does this fit with the [Medical School Name]?
- What schools did you apply to and why?
- What do you look for in a good medical school?
- Why do you want to go to school here?
- Why should [Medical School Name] choose you over other candidates?
Current Issue/Scenario Questions
- What do you think about the specialization of medicine?
- What do you think is the most pressing issue in medicine today?
- One day, a medical school classmate gives you a sheet containing questions for an upcoming exam. How would you handle the situation and what issues would you consider important in coming to a decision about what to do?
- Name a situation where you had to make an ethical decision. What did you do?
- Tell me a time when you witnessed dishonesty and what did you do?
- What are the responsibilities of a doctor to a patient?
- What do you think about the health care system and which way should it go?
- What do you think are the biggest problems with health care in the United States today?
- You inadvertently administer the wrong medication to a patient being treated in the hospital. Although the situation is not life threatening, how would you respond to the situation?
- What is your view on abortion/ euthanasia/stem cell research/cloning?
- What would you do to solve the current misdistribution of doctors in the U.S.?