Physician Assistant Program Interview Questions
If you are unsure how to answer any of these questions, check out Step 2 of our Interview Prep page for detailed tips on how to correctly answer tricky interview questions.
Questions About You
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your two best points?
- What are your two weakest points?
- What are three things you want to change about yourself?
- How do you handle conflict?
- Explain your leadership/research/volunteer experiences.
- What extracurricular activities are you engaged in?
- Which of your college courses interested you the most?
- Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?
- What do you do in your spare time?
- Why did you choose the undergraduate school you went to, and if you could, would you do anything differently?
- What do you do to relieve stress?
- What course was most academically challenging for you?
- What life experiences have made you a better person?
Questions About Your Physician Assistant Program Goals
- Why do you want to be a physician assistant?
- Why did you choose to be a physician assistant over a doctor or nurse?
- Are you planning to go to medical school?
- When did you decide that being a physician assistant was a good career choice for you?
- What steps have you taken to confirm that you want to be a physician assistant?
- What do you feel are the most important qualities in being a good physician assistant?
- What opportunities have you had to observe a physician assistant?
- How will you handle the stress of a physician assistant program?
- Outside of being a physician assistant, did you ever consider any other health profession?
- Explain the role of a physician assistant?
- What type of practice do you want to work in after you receive your degree/certification?
- What would you like to do if you are not accepted into a physician assistant program?
- What steps have you taken to acquaint yourself with the role of a physician assistant?
- What aspects of your life experiences do you think makes you a good candidate for a physician assistant program?
- What is the difference between a physician assistant and a physician?
Questions About the Physician Assistant Program
- Why do you want to attend this physician assistant program?
- How are you a match for this physician assistant program?
- Describe your method of learning. How does this fit with the physician assistant program?
- What schools did you apply to and why?
- What do you look for in a good physician assistant program?
- Why do you want to go to school here?
- Why should this physician assistant program choose you over other candidates?
Current Issue/Scenario Questions
- You have a patient whose English stills needs some improvement and you do not speak their language, how do you overcome the language barrier to assist them with their needs?
- Provide an example of a time that you had to make an ethical decision. What was the situation and what did you do?
- A person makes an appointment with their primary care physician, but when they are waiting for the doctor in the examining room, you enter and explain that you will be meeting with them today. The patient refuses to be examined by a Physician Assistant. How do you handle this situation?
- How would you describe your position to a patient?
- What do you see as the role of the Physician Assistant in the workforce or healthcare in the next 10 years?
- How would you handle a dispute with a colleague?