Questions for the Employer
A great way to bring an interview to a close is to have questions for your employer. This shows genuine interest in the position. Here are some suggestions:
- Can you describe an ideal employee?
- What are the short and long-term goals in your department?
- Who will evaluate my performance and how often?
- Are salary increases based on performance evaluations?
- Please describe the duties of this position.
- Is the company/organization supportive of professional development? How so?
- How many people would I be managing?
- How do you feel about creativity and individuality?
- In what way is a career with your company better than one with your competitors?
- What is the largest single problem facing your staff now?
- What do you like best about your job/company?
- What are the traits and skills of the people who are most successful in this company/organization?
- Where does the position fit into the organizational structure?
- What is top priority of the person who accepts this position?
- What is the management style of the company/organization?
- Why did you choose to work for this company/organization? What keeps you working here?
- How is your department perceived in the company/organization?
- Is this a new position or will I be replacing someone?
- What is the company/organization’s values?
- What are the day-to-day responsibilities of the person in this position?
- Will the person in this position be serving or heading any committees? Which ones?
- What is the morale of the company/organization?
- Who will work most closely with me?
- What are the most important achievements you would like to see made in this position during the first 3 months after a person being hired?
- Is there travel involved with this position?
- Why is this job open?
- How do you see my skills and experience fitting with the needs of your company/organization?
- Is there anything that you would like to me clarify regarding my answers or resume?
- What are the greatest challenges in the position?
- What are some examples of achievements of others who have been in this position?
- How many people have held this position in the last five years? Where are they now?
- Is there a lot of team/project work?
- Does your company encourage further education?
- If I am offered this position, why should I accept it?
Company/Organization Specific Questions
For example: I read in the newspaper that your company recently opened up a new research laboratory in Carmel. Can you tell me more about the expansion that the company has experienced and how this position will directly interact with the staff at the new facility?
Always Ask These Questions
- What are the next steps in the hiring process? OR When do you expect to be making a hiring decision?
- May I follow up with you regarding your decision? OR When should I expect to hear from you or should I contact you?
- If I am offered the position, how soon would you need my response? OR If I am offered the position, how soon would you need me to start?
- May I have your business card?